The team at Halliwells offers the following specific Māori Legal services:
- Treaty Negotiations: specialist advice on historic Treaty settlement negotiations, including advice on negotiating the terms of an Agreement in Principle and a Deed of Settlement.
- Iwi & Hapu Governance: advice on Post Settlement Governance Entities during settlement negotiations and, following settlement, advice on best-practice governance and other issues of corporate and iwi entity structuring.
- Natural Resources Law: advice on all aspects of resource management and natural resources law, including co-governance agreements, water and geothermal issues, fisheries, forestry, petroleum and minerals, and other natural resources regulation.
- Contemporary Treaty Claims: advice on contemporary Treaty claim issues and representation for these claims in the Waitangi Tribunal, the High Court and the higher Courts.
- Foreshore and Seabed: The team can also advise on applications for customary rights and customary marine title orders or agreements under the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011.
- Strategic public law and policy advice: advice on interacting with central and local government in the post-settlement era concerning all contemporary Maori-Crown Treaty issues, regulatory frameworks, and policy development generally.
- Law reform and Parliamentary relations: advice on law reform; parliamentary process; making submissions; and working with Ministers, Government departments, Crown entities and local authorities.
- General Commercial advice: advice on commercial arrangements, contracts, joint ventures, company incorporations and company law generally.